The Basilica of San Marco in Florence represents a small jewel for the Tuscan city. It is located in the square of the same name and impresses with its neoclassical style façade. On the side strips, there are two niches containing statues, while higher up, bands and garlands give the basilica a pleasant and distinctive appearance. Continuing to look up, the gaze rests on the upper part where a decorative bas-relief and an iron cross can be seen. Inside the basilica, there is a single nave. On the sides, there are several chapels adorned with paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries, but it is still possible to admire some fragments of the original 14th-century paintings.
Since the 12th century, the Vallombrosian monks have inhabited this basilica, settling where there was previously an oratory dedicated to Saint George. In 1290, the Silvestrine Benedictine monks arrived in this place from the village of San Marco Vecchio. Thus, the name of the basilica derives from that of the village. Later, in 1418, Pope Eugene IV forced the Silvestrine monks to leave the convent as they were accused of living without observing the spirit of poverty or chastity. The Dominican friars then arrived, and finding the convent in poor condition, began a long series of renovation works in 1437. These works were strongly desired by the nearby Medici family, who entrusted them to their trusted architect Michelozzo. The Blessed Angelico and his collaborators then took care of the decoration of the walls. On Epiphany in 1443, the pope consecrated the church, which was renovated in 1588, based on a design by Giambologna. The current façade, on the other hand, was created between 1777 and 1778 by the friar Giovan Battista Paladini. The Dominican friars were expelled in 1866, and in 1869 the original cloister was transformed into a museum where paintings by the Blessed Angelico were displayed.